June 29, 2014

A long day's journey into night

I work too much.

A lot of people say that, but I've been living it for the past three years.

 First, I worked for a catering company. It was my first foray into the for-profit sector in a decade. I ended up working about 80-100 hours per week. Needless to say, that did not last long. Longer than I expected, but not long.

Since then, I picked up one job, then two, then three, then four. All of them part time. Two are very part time (teaching Sunday school 1-2 hours per week during the school year, and working as an election official to help people use the voting machines--three times this year for a total of about 45 hour).

My grant-funded, non-profit job in my field is ending July 17. I have loved the work, and value the relationships I've gained, the conversations had, and the accomplishments made. The work is not yet over, as so much of the non-profit work I've done in the past has been left. That is not to say that I feel it is incomplete. I have been able to do more than I expected, and reached and then exceeded every goal set out for me. And yet, there is more work to be done. There is always more work to be done.

The job that provides my benefits will increase in hours in order to make up for some of the loss of my non-profit job. I will likely struggle a bit with the loss of income. The upcoming semi-annual raise should help defray that struggle.

The bright side is the time I will have on my hands. I will gain 5-10 additional hours per week. To garden, to see friends, to meet new friends, to date. The possibilities are endless.

I will happily live on beans and rice (and my CSA share) in order to have time to relax, time to practice the ukelele, time to write letters, time to read books, time to swim and lounge at the pool, time to visit with Grandma, time to cook, time to plan a party, time to clean the house, time to make art, time to volunteer, time to do nothing if that is what I choose.

I look forward to having time.

No comments:

Post a Comment